David had his cleft lip revised and ear tubes replaced on Thursday, November 17th. It was a very stressful time for Pete and I. This was David's 5th surgery, but it was especially difficult since David is getting older and understanding what is going on a bit more. And also since Pete and I started to explain the "why" this was happening to him - that he was born with a cleft lip - and it's difficult to figure out how to start explaining that to your 3-year old!
After all the anxiety, the surgery went extremely well and David was such an amazing trooper. We thought he would be down and out and resting on the couch for days, but he sprung right back to his normal self within a few hours......and our biggest task has been telling him to "calm down and relax" a bit! It is so amazing how resilient children can be!
Since everyone seems to be in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I wanted to start my list of things to be thankful for...especially during the last week with David's surgery.
The amazing staff at Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare in St. Paul.......all the surgeons, nurses, anethesiologists, check-in staff....everyone does such a fabulous job with the children and making all of the parents feel at ease with the situation. We couldn't have asked for a better care team for David!
Grandma Peggy......thank you for coming down to take care of Adam during the surgery. It gave us one less thing to worry about and we knew that he was in good hands and would be anxious to be re-connected with his older brother after surgery! Thank you also for making all the wonderful meals for us! Thanks also to Grandpa Dave for letting us borrow her for a few days!
Brothers & Sisters.........I am so thankful that my sons have each other. The brotherly bond is absolutely amazing! I am also so thankful that I have my sisters and that they all care for my children so much!
Super Heroes.......I am so thankful to have "super hero" boys who are amazingly smiley, cheerful and resilient. They light up my life!
God......I am so extremely thankful to have been blessed by God who has provided me with a wonderful family. I am also thankful for the message at church last weekend that provided these powerful verses in a very timely fashion as we were preparing for the surgery....
Philippians 4:6 Have no anxiety about anything.
Luke 1:37 Nothing's impossible with God.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who gives me the strength.
2 Corinthians 12:9 In my weakness God makes me strong.
And last but certainly not least.......I am so very thankful to have Pete as my wonderful, caring and loving husband. We knew that there would be trials and tribulations to go through as parents, but we didn't know exactly what form those would come in. I am so blessed to have a partner in life to go through all the adventures of parenthood - both the good, amazing and joyful....and also the trying and stressful times!
And for everyone else that I have missed......THANK YOU!!! Enjoy all these latest and greatest photos of the boys!
No comments:
Post a Comment